Sunday 13 November 2011

Task 3a: Current Networks

One big part of my Networking is my Computer. Different Web 2.0 applications such as Facebook, Twitter, Blog and YouTube have really expanded the way in which we can communicate and ‘get to know’ people. To keep these things personal and private I have set up two different accounts for my Facebook. One is my personal, so nearly all of my childhood friends with pictures of me and my friends. My other is my professional profile, and this is the one I try and use the most. I am friends with nearly everyone in my college and who I’ve met since leaving. I also have a few of my teacher on there so I can keep up to date with any information they might have. I feel it has really benefited me having the two accounts as I can keep everything separated. Also, when I add professional people, I don’t want them seeing Photos of me in fancy dress or out socializing with my friends, I’d rather them just see my professional photos. Seeing as there are more than 800 million active users on FaceBook, also more than 350 million active users currently useing Facebook on their mobiles, I consider this one of the biggest and most popular sites. EithneBryan's Professional FaceBook. Casting Call Pro is another amazing way to network, although it is a way to get jobs, I know that I can view different peoples ‘CV’s’ and vise-versa. I have sent my CV off to many different directors, who may not cast you in something straight away but will always keep different people in mind. CastingCallPro.com

Something I always am doing is Networking at Auditions. If I speak to people at an audition I always try and add them on Facebook. This lets me keep up to date with what their doing, if they know of any auditions. I feel as a performer the more people you know, the better, seeing as I nearly always see the same people at Auditions, you may as well keep in contact with them and start learning peoples names.

Another tool in my iPhone. This really benifits me when I’m out and about as I can keep informed on new jobs or auditions via email. Being able to have them at the palm of your hand is such a big help.

Some more established practitioners, I know, have their own websites. This then has different things set up like ‘Email Updates.’ This is a great way for people to network as they can send out information about different shows, gigs, tours ect. One person I know does this is Kerry Ellis. She has a mailing list, an online registration to become a member, links to her web 2.0 pages and alot of information about herself so people ‘get to know’ her. KerryEllis.co.uk

Every professional who has made it in the industry will have key networking skills. Everyone has a motive weather it be to get in a show, therefore networking with the director or cast so you already have a relationship when entering a casting, finding cast members or just to gain a bigger fan base. When networking, you have to be very careful with what you say, as to not offend people, thats why when people ‘make it’ they tend to let other people in charge of keeping their sites and Web 2.0 applications up to date.

My ideal Network would be something similar to Twitter (@EithneeeB). This is such a good networking tool as you can follow whoever you want to, they don’t have to accept you as a friend like Facebook. I know that it does cause some stir as some people view is as ‘Stalking’ as there is a feature where you can update your exact ‘Location.’ With this if the wrong person was to follow you, you could end up getting in trouble. As a performer I think this is the best networking sight as I follow many different Dirctors and shows which help me stay current with whats going on. Some people I follow include;
-Debbie O'Brien, who is a big casting director.
@DOBcasting
- Shoor DHS Models, Who are a model Agency
@ShootDHSModels
- Luke Kempner, Performer in the 25th Anniversary of Les Miserables
@LukeKempner
As you can see, these are all very different profiles but they are all key to my networking.

One thing I think I could to do develop my Networking is to set up my own Website or maybe just a new Blog. These are key ways to keep people informed in what you are doing and just to help your career. Also attaching that to a CV can show people that you have other ways in getting in contact. Something else I would like to do is get some Business Cards printed. These are great little things, as if you are out and about and don’t have a CV on you, you can always just give them a card with your Email and Spotlight View pin on.

Without the different Networks we currently have in place I think all types of employment would be very hard.

This is a picture of some other Social Networking Sites...most of which I have never heard of!!

3 comments:

  1. I have found this really interesting to read and I didn't realise there were so many networking sites. I like the fact that you mention about networking in auditions as that is where we meet people in the first place and it is good that you are trying to stay in touch with these people now. Do you aspire to be like Kerry Ellis?
    Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some really interesting ideas about networks. You should look at some of the blogs from last terms and the term before people had really good metaphors for how to think about it.
    Adesola

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that networking at auditions is important but it makes me wonder whether people are really going to let you know about auditions or not? Surely if you are "alike" in terms of casting, they're not going to inform you about a job where you could potentially "steal" a job from them. So does game theory apply here? Therefore you might be adding a whole lot of people who you are never going to contact ever again. Wouldn't it be better to have a network that you actually trust and know? Business cards are also a fantastic idea. Something I really need to look in to.

    ReplyDelete